Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Gold Leafing

Last month when I was at the Outer Banks, NC Retreat, my friend Dale shared a video on gold 'leafing' or 'gilding' that really intrigued me especially after she clued me in to getting the products from the DOLLAR TREE! 

I've linked the video at the bottom for you also. 

So here's my completed card and my take on this process.

The products you need to purchase are the gold, silver and bronze jars of 'flakes' from the Dollar Tree.  These are $3 jars and are found on the row that has the higher price items, usually around the center of the stores. 



You'll need some type of adhesive back paper.  It was suggested to me that you could use double sided tape applied to your cardstock, however I didn't try that.  My adhesive back paper was quite thin but still worked fine. 

I cut my sheet into 4" x 5-1/4" pieces first to make it easier to handle.  Then I removed the backing so the adhesive is facing upward and began to slowly add small pieces of the flakes randomly across the paper.  For each piece I gently rubbed it into the adhesive, trying to use all of the flake material.  Keep working through the colors until the entire piece is covered.  Try not to use your nail as it will scratch the foil and show a line on your finished piece. 

When completed, I selected the embossing folder (Sizzix 3D Art Nouveau Embossing Folder) I wanted to use and ran the foiled piece through my Sizzix.  

Next I selected a die for the edge, Penny Black Elegant Stitching, and ran it through the Sizzix. 

Then secured the completed piece to the black top fold card front (4-1/4" x 5-1/2").  I added a strip of foam to the back of the Tim Holtz preprinted sentiment and secured it across the bottom , then added the twine and cross charm at the top. This completed the card design.  This was my favorite card of all the ones I made at the Fall Retreat this past weekend. 


Thank you for stopping by today to view my blog. I enjoy sharing my work with you and invite you to 'Follow' my blog and to visit my site - "Not Just Scraps' on Facebook - where you can purchase my cards. 

I will be entering this card in the following challenges:   

Path of Positivity ~ Challenge 117 ~ Textures  

Avenue 613 ~ November Challenge  

Lil Patch of Crafty Friends ~ Challenge 217

 

Pam's Pearls

Products



Sizzix 3D Art Nouveau Embossing Folder

Penny Black, Elegant Stitching

YouTube Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6qoiXrUik

7 comments:

  1. This is so pretty
    Very nice job
    I love how you didn't cover it up with any image
    Karlé xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what gorgeous texture and shimmer! Absolutely stunning metallics here! Thanks for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Guess where I'm off to?🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Pam for sharing! I will definitely be looking for this product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you for sharing. Your instructions are awesome and I want to do this. Off to the dollar store🤗

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful card Pam, and thank you for sharing the technique - that sounds much simpler than many I have seen, and the end result is stunning
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete