Sunday, August 11, 2019

Vintage Sewing Theme Book Marker ~ It's A Winner!

Several weeks ago, Unity Stamps issued a Mini Challenge to 'Make it Tiny' ~ create something smaller, non traditional using their stamps.  I took their challenge and began creating a vintage themed sewing book marker for my friend Bonnie's birthday card. 
Here is the completed tag and my submission.


For this I used the lace from KOM 12/12, Everyday Fairytale,  the dress form from SMAK 3/18, Normal is Boring, and the spools of thread from the Itty Bitty, By a Thread.

I was really pleased with the way it turned out and it received lots of nice comments on the posting.  However, I was totally surprised when one of my online friends messaged me to tell me it had WON!

Totally awesome but I had to keep it a secret!  Ha!  Bonnie's birthday was still over a week away.  In the meantime, I had decided the book marker needed just a little tweaking to really be useful.  While the buttons added depth, they needed to be replaced with flat paper die cut buttons out of various scraps of patterned papers.   I also wanted to add more color.



At the top, I tied a string knotted bow to secure the lace, and added the Happy Birthday tag (which was not a Unity product). 


I knew Bonnie would like a few of my handmade cards, so I selected several and made a 6 x 8 box out of heavyweight card stock.  Before folding the top, I cut a piece of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper to the same measurements as the top of the box and glued it to the top.  I added a strip of decorative burlap, a couple of sewing hat pins and sewing flip magnets to a crocheted doily on top of the box.  With the cards and the book marker inside, the box made a nice presentation.


It's always nice to have several gift tags prepared ahead to add to a bag.  This tag is from Whimsy Stamps, Bee-Happy


This was a fun gift to prepare and I know my friend was pleased.  It's good to try the challenges that make us think outside our normal bounds.  Think about what you could make that is a different size next time you sit down to your crafting table.

Thanks for stopping by to see what's on my table.  Your comments are always welcomed.

Serving a Risen Savior, 
Pam 


1 comment:

  1. What an amazing tag you created Pam, and a worthy winner! Congratulations. I love it with the added colour and lace too.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete